It seems like Google had another mini-update a couple days ago because the two sites that were hit have started to recover their previous rankings.
The main "fixes" I made after the update was announced to be over were:
- Cleaned up interlinking, so that anchor text was diversified.
- Tightened up silos with interlinking. Links needed to be more relevant.
- Added or replaced photos to be more 'original'.
- Adjusted and optimized content where needed.
- I added author boxes to all the posts.
I haven't had the time to do this to every article either. I first focused on the ones that were previously ranking.
I don't know exactly what helped or didn't help, but it seemed enough to start getting rankings back.